Twitter

Twitter

Saturday, 17 June 2017

#Xenophobia: South African communities issue quit notice to Nigerians | FG reacts

 
The Nigerian Union in South Africa says Nigerians living in two South African communities have been ordered by those communities to leave their land.

This was made known by Ikechukwu Anyene, the President of the Union.

Ayene said the Kuruman community in Northern Cape Province gave Nigerians until Thursday to leave the place while the Klaafontein community, Extension 5, Johannesburg, took a more subtle approach and directed landlords not to renew the rent of Nigerians in the area.

He said the South African's grouse with Nigerians is that they believe they are responsible for some social vices like illicit drug trade and prostitution.

Anyene further said a Ugandan man raped a girl in Kwazulu Natal Province but was described in the media as a Nigerian.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria:

“The Nigeria union held series of meetings with the affected communities as well as police and local authorities on the recent threats to Nigerians. We have also written reports on these incidents and sent to the Nigerian Mission and the South African police. We recommended interventions before the June 16 deadline to the mission and we are waiting for their response. The union is worried that any incident involving non -South Africans are attributed to Nigerians. The union believes that the Early Warning Unit set up by Nigerian and South African governments has not been effective. We are yet to have any meeting since the ministers of the two countries met. Since then, there have been sustained media propaganda against our people."

However, the Nigerian Mission in South Africa on Friday said it had waded into the issues surrounding the alleged quit order given to Nigerians by two communities in that country.



Ambassador Martin Cobham, Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner in South Africa, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone from Pretoria that the mission was on top of the situation.

Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner in South Africa said that he had engaged in processes to nip in the bud whatever crisis or situation that could affect the welfare of Nigerians living in South Africa.

“I engaged the union leader who has given me the graphic details of what happened. In view of that I have engaged with the authorities here to bring in the community, the police and the Nigerians living there for a meeting so as to prevent any mayhem. On Monday I am going to dispatch our officials to the Northern Cape Province to engage in a meeting with the local police and the community for a tripartite meeting,” he said.

The High Commissioner said that he will also meet with the authority to ensure that instruction was given to the police not to allow any outbreak of violence.

“All we are trying to ensure is to nip in the bud any breakdown of law and order or anything that could lead to violence. So we in the embassy are on top of the situation. And I am engaging the union leader and my office is equally engaging the South African Foreign Ministry on the issue. So I believe with this measure we will be able to contain all these excesses,” he said.




Subscribe to Bishop Ikedi Blog
For Adverts Placement Or Free News Updates, Contact Us On WhatsApp: 0703280399, BBM Pin: D607D9B2, Email Ikedirichy@gmail.com To Publish Your Articles.

No comments:

Back to Top